Saturday, September 10, 2011

Peach Muffins..!!

 

 

 

 

IMG_2514

 

Hii,hello,howdy my dear readers..???

So,another Onam just passed by..I hope all Malayali’s around the world had a joyful time with their family..Smile

Well,my blog has been dying a slow pathetic death and I was not even able to make an effort to save it..How could I,when my life was going through a sweet and thrilling roller coaster ride..a whole bunch of new experiences and in fact am still in the process of learning,every single day..!May 2011 became the most beautiful month of our lives, when this small fairy ,our baby girl ,Ameya came into our lives..Smile Phew, I thought she would be this totally tiny ,dependent little thing and I would be sitting high up the throne, holding the control button laying out her routines and executing them.Yeah moms,how silly of me..!Open-mouthed smile Well,all my notions and perceptions changed in no time and here I am,a total slave to those tiny paws and hard-kicking legs and smiling lips..dancing to her tunes,our center of universe..! So,naturally blog took a back seat..I so wanted to change this boring layout before I start jotting down something here again,but looks like it will have to wait..!Thanks to each and everyone of you,who wrote to me ,nudging me to post.I haven't been able to reply all of you individually,but thanks a lot!!Smile

If having a baby was not enough chaotic(ermm..in a good way) ,we went ahead and bought our first new home!! weee..I know,bloody exciting!It was a crazy  ride indeed and we are so thankful to God and my parents,that we have still not lost our marbles.Looking back,I am still amazed how things fell into right places…Just saying,we are abundantly blessed..Smile

So,summer is almost nearing its end here ,in our neck of woods..The air is still ‘tomato sweet and hickory-smoked’ here,all trying to savor the last bits of summer.. My tomatoes have still time left to harvest,and my spinach,okra and bell peppers are also thriving hard in the sweltering heat..Our home came with raised vegetable beds,all sorts of trees,pretty flowers and  bushes of almost all the herbs I know of..!!I was doing jumping jacks when we first visited the home..Smile

 

IMG_2516

I baked quite a bit this summer,fully utilizing the summer fruits that hit the market,because my mom likes my muffins and cakes…and also a big, bright kitchen is a nice motivation..Smile We have farmers market close to home,on Wednesday evenings and its such a fun fare..Fresh fruits,veggies,meat and cheese from local farmers mingled with colorful handmade bags and hats and locally made pasta’s plus the quintessential stalls of wood-fired pizza’s and taco’s and baklawa’s..we try to make it to there every possible week and mostly we buy these ubiquitous ,sweet-smelling stone fruit.So one day ,I decide to try America test kitchen’s recipe for the blueberry muffins,just substituting the berries with peaches.I baked them again, on amma’s request with  a combo of blueberries and strawberries.Its slightly elaborate than your standard muffin,but well worth it..!

IMG_2512

 

 

For 12 muffins

Ingredients
Lemon-Sugar Topping
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon
Muffins
  • 2 cups sliced peaches (or any fruit)
  • 1 1/8 cups sugar plus 1 teaspoon
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or scant 1 cup milk +1 tsp vinegar or lime juice allowed to stand for a while)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions

1. FOR THE TOPPING:

Stir together sugar and lemon zest in small bowl until combined. set aside.

2. FOR THE MUFFINS:

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

Bring 1 cup peaches and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing the fruit with spoon several times and stirring frequently, until all of them have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup, about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Whisk remaining 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in medium bowl until thick and homogeneous, about 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in butter and oil until combined. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla until combined. Using rubber spatula, fold egg mixture and remaining cup peaches into flour mixture until just moistened. (Batter will be very lumpy with few spots of dry flour; do not overmix.)

Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups (batter should completely fill cups and mound slightly). Spoon teaspoon of cooked peach mixture into center of each mound of batter. Using chopstick or a skewer, gently swirl berry filling into batter using figure-eight motion. Sprinkle lemon sugar evenly over muffins.

Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating muffin tin from front to back halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.

IMG_2508

Verdict:

I didn’t have lemon with me,so tried with limes .am not ardent fan of lemony flavor,so didn't quite like that bit.Other than that the muffins taste more rich and soft than regular muffins.2.5 tsp of baking powder made me lil apprehensive,so I used only 1.5 tsp for peach muffins which you see in the pictures here.But the second time with berries ,I used 2.5 tsp as they mentioned and the muffins were larger than these and better tasting.They look so huge and beautiful and I didn’t feel like biting into it.They tasted pretty rich too ,with two full eggs in it.They have mentioned that butter milk is the perfect ingredient for this muffin,rather than milk or yoghurt.So try use that one.The cooked fruit that is swirled into the muffin on top of the addition of sliced fruit is pretty exciting and each bite gives a lot of fruity flavor..Do try and love these!

 

I hope to post  rare often like these ,as Ms: A allows me..Winking smile Meanwhile,I would love to hear from you all .Take care and have fun!

cya

StumbleUpon
 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.